ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Shamima Begum Fears She'll Be Sentenced To Death For ISIS Support After Claims She Was A 'Brainwashed Angel'
Home>News
Updated 11:33 12 Jun 2022 GMT+1Published 11:32 12 Jun 2022 GMT+1

Shamima Begum Fears She'll Be Sentenced To Death For ISIS Support After Claims She Was A 'Brainwashed Angel'

Describing herself as an 'angel who was brainwashed', Shamima Begum has said she fears being executed in Syria

Joe Harker

Joe Harker

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Shamima Begum has spoken of her fear that she'll be sentenced to death if put on trial in Syria for joining ISIS and has described herself as an 'angel' who was 'brainwashed' by the terrorist state.

In a recent interview with the Mail on Sunday, she protested her innocence saying she had been radicalised online and sex-trafficked by ISIS.

Begum fled the UK aged 15 to join ISIS in 2015 along with friends Amira Abase and Kadiza Sultana.

She went to Syria and married Dutch-born ISIS fighter Yago Riedjik, who is currently being held at a detention camp in northeast Syria.

Advert

They had three children who have all since died, and Begum has been living in the al-Roj refugee camp since 2019.

Shamima Begum left the UK in 2015 to join ISIS, but now claims she was brainwashed and trafficked.
Alamy

The ISIS bride's attempts to return to the UK after having her British citizenship revoked have been unsuccessful, with the Supreme Court last year ruling against her appeal.

Male ISIS fighters are currently being put on trial by the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Force and the Mail reports claims that some are being executed while others have been sentenced to 20 years in prison.

They also report that women detained for their suspected part in ISIS have been told their trials will begin in the summer.

Begum is facing allegations that she helped make bombs for the terrorist group, including claims she sewed bombers into suicide vests, and has been accused of being part of the group's 'morality police'.

She told the Mail on Sunday: "I was an angel who was brainwashed.

"I was an angel, you can ask my mum, I was an angel. I don’t want to be tried in Syria."

The ISIS bride's claims of innocence contrast several earlier statements she made about her participation in ISIS, wiht her previously saying seeing the sight of a severed head in a bin 'didn't faze me at all' because it belonged to 'an enemy of Islam', and formerly insisting: "I don't regret coming here."

The Sun reports Begum is going to face prosecution, with her trial likely to begin in either September or October.

The UK Supreme Court last year quashed Begum's attempts to return to Britain.
Alamy

They report she is 'very frightened and concerned' at the possibility of being sentenced to death, having 'convinced herself' she will be executed if found guilty of terrorism despite local authorities not advocating for the death penalty.

Even if not sentenced to death she could face a lengthy prison sentence if found guilty.

Officials will be looking at her actions and previous statements as she claims she 'didn't know ISIS was a death cult'.

The possibility of being sentenced to death could renew campaigns to allow her to return to the UK as the British government opposes the death penalty.

Begum is likely the only survivor among the trio of girls who fled the UK to join ISIS in Syria in 2015.

She has said she knows Sultana was killed in an airstrike against ISIS, while she heard that Abase was also dead.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Shamima Begum, Terrorism

Joe Harker
Joe Harker

Joe graduated from the University of Salford with a degree in Journalism and worked for Reach before joining the LADbible Group. When not writing he enjoys the nerdier things in life like painting wargaming miniatures and chatting with other nerds on the internet. He's also spent a few years coaching fencing. Contact him via [email protected]

X

@MrJoeHarker

Recommended reads

Mackenzie Shirilla's dad placed on leave as workplace issue statement after Netflix's The Crash controversyNetflixAngelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s daughter changes name at graduation(Vivien Killilea/Getty Images for Palm Springs International Film Society)NASA’s Roman Space Telescope could change everything we know about dark matter and the universeMichael S. Williamson/The Washington Post via Getty ImagesJake Paul issues statement after giving lifetime ban to world champion boxer after physical altercationLeonardo Fernandez/Getty Images

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Leonardo Fernandez/Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Jake Paul issues statement after giving lifetime ban to world champion boxer after physical altercation

    The celebrity boxer condemned the actions of the world champion

    News
  • (Sarah Stier/Getty Images for Netflix)
    2 hours ago

    Length of Gina Carano’s immediate MMA suspension confirmed after 15 second Ronda Rousey loss

    Gina Carano bagged over a million for her 15-second loss to Ronda Rousey

    News
  • Facebook
    2 hours ago

    Father-of-two dies in freak escalator accident as people walk past without helping

    40-year-old carpenter, Steven McCluskey, tragically died after getting trapped in an escalator at Davis Station in Somerville, Massachusetts

    News
  • Getty
    11 hours ago

    Five people, including two suspects, dead after shooting at San Diego mosque

    San Diego police have said the incident is being treated as a hate crime

    News