ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Archie Battersbee's mother says she's 'the proudest mum in the world' after son's life support is switched off
Home>News
Updated 14:47 6 Aug 2022 GMT+1Published 14:40 6 Aug 2022 GMT+1

Archie Battersbee's mother says she's 'the proudest mum in the world' after son's life support is switched off

Hollie Dance had been urging the courts to overturn the decision to remove life support

Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Archie Battersbee's mother says she is the 'proudest mum in the world'.

The 12-year-old's life support was turned off today (6 August), with the young boy dying at 12.15pm, surrounded by his family.

Speaking outside Royal London Hospital, Hollie Dance said she was devastated but was incredibly proud of the bravery Archie showed.

She told the assembled media: "Archie passed at 12.15pm today. And can I just say I am the proudest mum in the world - such a beautiful little boy, and he fought right until the very end, and I am so proud to be his mum."

Ella Rose Carter, the fiancée of Archie's eldest brother Tom, said no child should ever have to go through what Archie did.

Advert

She said: "He was taken off medication at 10am, his stats remained stable until two hours later when they removed the ventilation.

"There is absolutely nothing dignified about watching a family member or a child suffocate.

"We hope no family has to go through what we have been through. It's barbaric."

Archie had been in a comatose state since being found unconscious at home in Southend, Essex, in April.

After a High Court judge ruled ending treatment would be in Archie's best interests, the young boy's mother, Ms Dance, took urgent measures to try and to keep her son alive.

Archie Battersbee's family confirm the young boy's life support had been turned off.
PA Images/Alamy

However, despite numerous appeals, she lost her fight, and it was ruled that Archie's life support should be removed.

Mr Justice Hayden, of the High Court, determined that what happened to Archie was a 'tragedy of immeasurable dimensions', but said it was in his best interest for treatment to be stopped.

He said: "There is unfortunately no treatment possible to reverse the damage that has been caused to Archie’s brain.

"There can be no hope at all of recovery."

And on Wednesday (3 April), Ms Dance conceded it was 'the end' after the European Court of Human Rights decided not to intervene in the decision to withdraw life-support treatment.

Archie has been in a coma for several months.
PA Images/Alamy

Two days later, the family also lost a last-ditch High Court bid to have Archie transferred to a hospice before his life-sustaining treatment would be withdrawn.

Ms Dance had said she wanted her son to 'spend his last moments' together with family privately, complaining of a lack of privacy at the hospital.

But in a ruling on the morning of Friday (5 August), Mrs Justice Theis concluded it was not in Archie’s best interests to be moved.

Featured Image Credit: Sky News/handout

Topics: No Article Matching, UK News, Health

Dominic Smithers
Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers is LADbible's Editorial Lead. After graduating from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History, he went on to write for the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express. So as you can imagine, he’s spent many a night wondering just how useful that second language has been. But c'est la vie.

X

@SmithersDom

Recommended reads

Embarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lakeGrapevine PoliceThailand tourism crackdown has new UK visa rule months after cannabis law changeDaniel Ceng/Anadolu via Getty ImagesVenezuela Fury's bridesmaid called out after selling her dress on Vinted days after weddingVinted/Libby PeatYouTuber ordered to pay $17.5 million to dad of teenager after spreading lie about her deathFIND KIELY

Advert

Choose your content:

13 mins ago
2 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Grapevine Police
    13 mins ago

    Embarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lake

    A man has been arrested after being accused of intentionally driving a cybertruck into a lake

    News
  • FIND KIELY
    2 hours ago

    YouTuber ordered to pay $17.5 million to dad of teenager after spreading lie about her death

    A jury reached the verdict that the YouTuber should have to pay millions

    News
  • MIKE PERSSON / AFP via Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Two 'people hunters' under investigation over alleged sniper safaris that killed women and children

    Several journalists have now dropped bombshell claims about the alleged war crimes

    News
  • Sussex Police
    4 hours ago

    Father pays heartbreaking tribute as three sisters identified in Brighton beach tragedy

    The women's bodies were recovered from the water last week

    News

    breaking

  • Archie Battersbee's life support has been switched off
  • Archie Battersbee's family demand inquiry following his death
  • Woman becomes third member of British family to die after suspected poisoning
  • Footage Shows Russian Tanks At The Chernobyl Nuclear Plant