ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Olympics judge sent home from games over 'inappropriate' photo
Home>News
Published 17:36 2 Aug 2024 GMT+1

Olympics judge sent home from games over 'inappropriate' photo

Ben Lowe has been sent home from Tahiti after the photo was circulated online

Lucy Devine

Lucy Devine

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

An Olympics judge has been sent home from the Paris games over a photo that officials deemed to be 'inappropriate'.

Surfing judge, Ben Lowe, was seen in an image with Australian athletes, Ethan Ewing and Bede Durbridge, this week.

It was taken in Tahiti, where the surfing event is being held.

Despite the seemingly innocent image, Olympic officials have said it wasn't appropriate.

Advert

Ethan Ewing, of Team Australia (Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)
Ethan Ewing, of Team Australia (Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)

Lowe has been a judge on the World Surf League for some time and also judged in the Tokyo Olympics.

But after being in Tahiti for over a week, he has now been sent home.

The photo of the three men was captioned: "These three Straddie [Stradbroke Island] boys doing their stuff at the Olympics."

All three are from North Stradbroke Island in Queensland, and Lowe had been set to officiate events in which Ewing and Durbridge are competing in.

According to the International Surfing Association, the photo was inappropriate, due to its social nature.

“It is inappropriate for a judge to be interacting in this manner with an athlete and their team,” they said.

“To protect the integrity and fairness of the ongoing competition, and in accordance with the ISA Code of Conduct and IOC Code of Ethics, the ISA Executive Committee has decided to remove the judge from the judging panel for the remainder of the competition.”

The ISA also said they had 'communicated with all judges and teams to remind them of their responsibilities regarding appropriate behaviour’.

It is not clear who posted the photo.

LADbible has contacted the World Surf League for comment.

The photo was shared on Instagram (Instagram)
The photo was shared on Instagram (Instagram)

Following the decision, the Brazil surfing team spoke out about what had happened, claiming it was 'good for them'.

“This is good for us,” a team official told Stab.

“If there’s no photo, nothing probably happens. But the situation is clearly not right.”

Ewing and fellow Australian Jack Robinson will face each other in the quarter-final stage of the competition.

Meanwhile, Australia's Tyler Wright was knocked out of the contest by Team USA surfer Caroline Marks, in the women's quarter-finals earlier on Friday (2 August).

While Wright achieved a score of 5.37, Marks took the lead with 7.77.

"She does what she does and she kinda did. She gave me a wave underneath and I almost converted again which is probably the most frustrating thing," Wright told Nine afterwards.

"It's really hard to ride the barrel on your back end out there and I did have that one opportunity... She kinda did but then at the end, she threw a rogue set that hadn't come through and we were never going to be in position for.

"It's a bit of a bummer, I'm pretty frustrated but that's OK."

Featured Image Credit: Instagram/Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

Topics: Sport, Olympics

Lucy Devine
Lucy Devine

Recommended reads

Dodgy Fire Stick users are being identified and given two week legal action warningMichael Nagle/Bloomberg via Getty ImagesKatie Price responds to claims 'missing' husband Lee Andrews has been 'online'Instagram/Katie PriceEmbarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lakeGrapevine PoliceThailand tourism crackdown has new UK visa rule months after cannabis law changeDaniel Ceng/Anadolu via Getty Images

Advert

Choose your content:

9 hours ago
11 hours ago
13 hours ago
  • Grapevine Police
    9 hours ago

    Embarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lake

    A man has been arrested after being accused of intentionally driving a cybertruck into a lake

    News
  • FIND KIELY
    11 hours ago

    YouTuber ordered to pay $17.5 million to dad of teenager after spreading lie about her death

    A jury reached the verdict that the YouTuber should have to pay millions

    News
  • MIKE PERSSON / AFP via Getty Images
    13 hours ago

    Two 'people hunters' under investigation over alleged sniper safaris that killed women and children

    Several journalists have now dropped bombshell claims about the alleged war crimes

    News
  • Charlotte Coney/Getty Images
    13 hours ago

    Father pays heartbreaking tribute as three sisters identified in Brighton beach tragedy

    The women's bodies were recovered from the water last week

    News

    breaking

  • All USA athletes returning home from Winter Olympics with $200,000 after billionaire's gift
  • Ukrainian athlete disqualified from Winter Olympics over helmet tribute
  • Norwegian skier responds after dramatic Winter Olympics meltdown over missing out on medal
  • French ice hockey player banned from rest of Olympics after brutal scrap during game