ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Man left stunned by council after filling in 20cm pothole himself
Home>News
Published 17:47 24 May 2023 GMT+1

Man left stunned by council after filling in 20cm pothole himself

He wasn't expecting the council's response

Kit Roberts

Kit Roberts

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A man who was left shocked after waiting weeks for a 'dangerous' pothole to be filled decided to take matters into his own hands, and it didn't go down too well.

Potholes are quite simply a pain in the a*se on Britain's roads, with many councils in a constant battle with them.

But one bloke from Exeter was so fuming over a 'dangerous' pothole that he decided to take matters into his own hands.

Paul was fed up with the pothole.
BPM Media

Advert

Paul Jackson says he waited weeks after contacting the council to raise concerns about a pothole outside his home. Eventually, he lost patience and decided to repair the hole himself, worried it could pose a risk to a cyclist, or damage a car going past.

He told DevonLive: "It shouldn’t be down to us to fill in our own potholes. At what point does it become a safety concern for cyclists, motorbikes and damage to vehicles? The council/ highways are a joke.

"The pothole had damaged someone’s car and had been reported by many people to the council. It was just a really bad pothole and was like it for weeks.

"I’d had enough of driving into it and I’d read people claiming on damages to their cars on the Whipton Community Group Facebook page so thought I’d sort it out before a cyclist or motorbike went through it. I used a couple of bags of cement to fill it over."

That would have been all well and good, only for a surprise development.

Paul took matters into his own hands.
BPM Media

Just one hour after Paul had filled in the hole himself, council workers descended on the road and removed the repair work he had done before filling it in themselves.

Paul said: "I believe someone may have contacted highways to report someone filling it in as they came about an hour after to fill the hole. Two trucks and about half a dozen workers came to cut it out and fill it back in. Was it a strange coincidence? They filled the other holes in the same area on different days bizarrely."

A spokesperson for Devon County Council said: "We cannot condone work being carried out on public roads without consent and anyone doing so is putting themselves and other road users at risk. This pothole was reported to our highways teams on Tuesday, May 2, and they repaired it on Wednesday, May 17, digging out the concrete before carrying out the repair.

"We have additional crews carrying out pothole repairs across the county and they have filled more than 23,000 safety defects so far this year."

Featured Image Credit: BPM Media

Topics: News, UK News, Cars

Kit Roberts
Kit Roberts

Kit joined LADbible Group in 2023 as a community journalist. They previously worked for StokeonTrentLive, the Daily Mirror, and the Daily Star.

Recommended reads

Mum of toddler who went missing in Greece 35 years ago told UK police will no longer investigate the disappearance Police handout Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews ‘officially declared missing person’ @wesleeandrews Elsie Hewitt says ‘she’s raising child on her own’ confirming Pete Davidson splitGettyTrump met with huge blow to White House ballroom plans after $1 billion proposalJIM WATSON/AFP via Getty Images

Advert

  • Driver furious after council paints disabled bay around parked car and fines him four times
  • Man was left in complete shock after taking £5 million car collection into WeBuyAnyCar
  • Dad-of-two left fighting for his life ‘after getting filling replaced at dentist’
  • Paddleboarder discovers luxury car submerged near Bear Grylls' private island

Choose your content:

an hour ago
10 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Police handout
    an hour ago

    Mum of toddler who went missing in Greece 35 years ago told UK police will no longer investigate the disappearance

    Ben Needham vanished from the Greek island of Cos in 1991

    News
  • JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    Trump met with huge blow to White House ballroom plans after $1 billion proposal

    Money is being sought for security upgrades to the ballroom

    News
  • NASA
    11 hours ago

    Scientists baffled after mysterious blue flashes shining from space

    Now, they have a theory as to what might be causing the flash

    News
  • Getty Stock
    11 hours ago

    Therapist shares science behind why people in long-term relationships have less sex

    Things can sometimes start in firey passion only to cool to simmer, but why is that?

    News