ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Man Arrested And Found Guilty Of Littering After Planting Flowers On Fiancee's Grave
Home>News
Published 20:43 13 Jun 2022 GMT+1

Man Arrested And Found Guilty Of Littering After Planting Flowers On Fiancee's Grave

The court case was sparked after her dad filed a complaint

Daisy Phillipson

Daisy Phillipson

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A man over in the US has been arrested and found guilty of littering after planting flowers on his fiancée's grave.

Winston 'Winchester' Hagans received a fine of $300 (£245) and a 30-day suspended jail sentence after his late partner's dad filed a complaint.

The incident unfolded after Hagans' fiancée, Hannah Ford, tragically died in a car crash in January 2021, just a month after they got engaged.

To honour her memory, the Alabama resident placed a plant pot of fresh flowers featuring a photo of the pair on her grave in the city of Auburn.

Things took a sour turn, however, when Hagans was later arrested for criminal littering. City officials told him that he could put flowers on the graveside unless there was a complaint, but one was in fact filed by none other than his 27-year-old partner's dad, Reverent Tom Ford.

Advert

Speaking to The Washington Post earlier this year, he said: "The police don’t enforce the law unless the owner of the plot tries to do something about it," adding that Ford didn't approve of their relationship.

Last Thursday (9 June), Hagans was charged with one count of criminal littering, receiving the fine and suspended sentence which will remain suspended so long as he doesn't place anymore flowers on the grave.

However, according to the outlet, his attorney Jeff Tickal suggested an appeal will be filed within the next two weeks which, if won, will grant a new trial and could lead to the fine being dropped.

Last July, Hagans shared a snapshot of the plant pot, writing: "I wish she was with me tonight.

"This is the 4th time I’ve put a flower box on her grave and someone she knew keeps trashing them. Someone keeps throwing away the flowers I plant... but each time he throws them away I’ll plant more."

In a more recent update, he said ahead of the trial: "My crime, a flower box adornment placed at the grave of my fiancée.

"Her father has accused me, the city of Auburn had me arrested and has brought charges against me... even with another 70+ planter adornments placed at headstones in that very graveyard."

The 32-year-old also took the time to thank those who had supported him through the ordeal, adding: "I am so thankful for you all, those of you who have prayed for me, thought about me, reached out, bought me a meal/coffee/beer, or just let me vent.

"It means more to me than you will ever know. It has honestly saved my life."

Featured Image Credit: Facebook

Topics: US News, Crime

Daisy Phillipson
Daisy Phillipson

Daisy graduated from Kingston University with a degree in Magazine Journalism, writing a thesis on the move from print to digital publishing. Continuing this theme, she has written for a range of online publications including Digital Spy and Little White Lies, with a particular passion for TV and film. Contact her on [email protected]

X

@DaisyWebb77

Recommended reads

‘First British victim’ dies after frog poison detoxJonathan Wong/South China Morning Post via Getty ImagesMan dies in second fatal shark attack in a week in AustraliaStock photo GettyThe Mountain attempts to break own record at Enhanced GamesRosdiana Ciaravolo/Getty ImagesOleksandr Usyk retains heavyweight title with controversial 11th-round callMohamed Hossam/Getty Images

Advert

  • Singer Jack Avery speaks out after child's mother arrested in alleged plot to murder him
  • Update in case after ‘Covid syndrome’ parents were arrested for keeping kids in ‘house of horrors’
  • Disturbing footage shows moment man 'poisoned himself' live on camera after court finds him guilty
  • Man found guilty of murdering 14-year-old boy he nearly decapitated with samurai sword

Choose your content:

18 mins ago
2 hours ago
18 hours ago
  • Jonathan Wong/South China Morning Post via Getty Images
    18 mins ago

    ‘First British victim’ dies after frog poison detox

    A cause of death has yet to be formally established

    News
  • Mohamed Hossam/Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Oleksandr Usyk retains heavyweight title with controversial 11th-round call

    Fans are reportedly furious with the decision

    News
  • Getty Stock Photo
    18 hours ago

    Doctor explains why everyone should be drinking milk in heatwave as temperatures soar above 30 degrees

    Temperatures are soaring to 33 degrees celsius in the UK this week

    News
  • Fox 26 Houston
    18 hours ago

    Killer sends harrowing message to victims' family after murdering mechanic over $500

    Luis Casillas, 29, begged for his life before being forced to his knees and fatally shot

    News