ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
New Footage Marks First Time Taliban Hostage Has Been Seen In Years
Home>News
Published 17:26 2 Apr 2022 GMT+1

New Footage Marks First Time Taliban Hostage Has Been Seen In Years

Mark Frerichs was kidnapped while working in Kabul in 2020

Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

New footage has been released of an American man who was taken hostage by the Taliban two years ago. Watch it below:

A new video shows a missing American hostage in Afghanistan pleading for help. Mark Frerichs was abducted in Kabul more than two years ago. This video was filmed on November 28, 2021. The Newyorker has released this video yesterday. pic.twitter.com/PBYlqnb2b3

— KABUL NEWS (@kabulnewstv) April 2, 2022

US veteran Mark Frerichs was kidnapped in January 2020 while working in Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan.

Since then, it's thought that he has been held by the Taliban-linked group Haqqani Network.

Advert

And when Joe Biden pulled troops out of Afghanistan last year, the 59-year-old was believed to be the only American left in the country.

But despite efforts to negotiate his release, no agreement had been reached and it wasn't clear whether or not Mr Frerichs was even still alive.

However, new footage obtained by The New Yorker shows the engineer - identified by his sister - reading what appears to be a prepared statement.

In the short clip, Mr Frerichs says it was recorded on 28 November 2021.

Mark Frerichs has been held by the Taliban for two years.
The New Yorke

He says: "I've been patiently waiting for my release.

"I'd like to ask the leadership of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, please, release me.

"Release me so that I may be reunited with my family. Thank you."

Speaking to the publication about the video, Mr Frerichs’s sister Charlene Cakora said: "This is public confirmation of our family’s long-held belief that he is alive after more than two years in captivity."

She and her family have been frustrated by the slow progress that has been made by the US government in gaining Mr Frerichs's release.

According to The New Yorker, they were denied a meeting with Donald Trump in 2020, as they were with Joe Biden's national security advisor Jake Sullivan.

A senior Administration official said: "President Biden has been clear: the Administration will continue to work until every US citizen being held hostage or wrongfully detained comes home.

"We will never ask families to be content, knowing that their loved one is not home with them."

Mr Frerichs was kidnapped in Kabul in 2020.
Alamy

The Taliban has said in the past that it will free Mr Frerichs if the US government agrees to free Afghan drug lord Hajji Bashar Noorzai who is serving a life sentence for trafficking. 

Speaking about the swap, Illinois Senator Tammy Duckworth said it should be agreed to.

He said: "As the only remaining US hostage of the war in Afghanistan, we owe it to Mark Frerichs and his family to pull every possible lever we can to bring home this Navy Veteran who served our nation honourably.

"Bashir Noorzai cooperated with our government by providing intelligence and helping us recover weapons from the Taliban for years and, as an elderly man in poor health, he is unlikely to return to any position of operational significance for the Taliban. 

"At this point, releasing him — after he served 17 years in prison — appears to be the only way to secure Mark's safe return, so I would support the Administration taking this step to ensure an American is not left behind."

Featured Image Credit: CBS Chicago/Charlene Cakora

Topics: US News, Politics, Joe Biden, Donald Trump

Dominic Smithers
Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers is LADbible's Editorial Lead. After graduating from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History, he went on to write for the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express. So as you can imagine, he’s spent many a night wondering just how useful that second language has been. But c'est la vie.

X

@SmithersDom

Recommended reads

Jon Bernthal's 11-year-old daughter's pay cheque for The Punisher has been revealedJamie McCarthy/Getty ImagesDoctor explains why everyone should be drinking milk in heatwave as temperatures soar above 30 degreesGetty Stock PhotoGemma Collins shows off incredible body transformation after shedding 3.5 stone with weight loss jabsGemma Collins/InstagramKiller sends harrowing message to victims' family after murdering mechanic over $500Fox 26 Houston

Advert

Choose your content:

11 hours ago
12 hours ago
13 hours ago
  • Getty Stock Photo
    11 hours ago

    Doctor explains why everyone should be drinking milk in heatwave as temperatures soar above 30 degrees

    Temperatures are soaring to 33 degrees celsius in the UK this week

    News
  • Fox 26 Houston
    11 hours ago

    Killer sends harrowing message to victims' family after murdering mechanic over $500

    Luis Casillas, 29, begged for his life before being forced to his knees and fatally shot

    News
  • SWNS
    12 hours ago

    Man in £80,000 of debt after harrowing cocaine addiction explains what finally made him quit

    At his worst, Alex Powell was spending £600 a day on drugs

    News
  • Sean Gardner/Getty Images
    13 hours ago

    Kyle Busch's 11-year-old son pays heartbreaking tribute as RCR reveals plan for dad's No.8 car

    The racing star sadly passed away after experiencing a 'severe illness'

    News
  • Woman who filmed footage of fatal Alex Pretti shooting gives harrowing account of what she saw
  • Video footage of attack reveals disturbing detail as man shot dead by federal agents identified
  • New documents reveal secret campaign to expand ICE across US in number of locations
  • Expert shares key moment in ICE shooting footage that was ‘clear’ sign to Renee Good before shooting