ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Calls for 'disgrace' Prince Andrew to be stripped of title
Home>News
Updated 19:24 15 Sep 2022 GMT+1Published 19:16 15 Sep 2022 GMT+1

Calls for 'disgrace' Prince Andrew to be stripped of title

The 63-year-old also held the position under the Queen's reign

Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Campaigners have branded Prince Andrew a 'disgrace' and called for him to be stripped of his title.

Following the death of the Queen last week, Charles took over as the country's monarch.

One of his first jobs following the tragic news has been to choose five counsellors of state, who stand in for the king when he's incapacitated.

As well as the Queen Consort, Charles also appointed his brother to the position, which he held during the Queen's reign along with Prince William and Prince Harry.

Advert

However, some of the 63-year-old's critics have not taken the news well, with the anti-monarchy group Republic branding him a 'disgrace'.

Speaking to The National, the group's CEO Graham Smith said: "It is a disgrace – and a serious misjudgement – to allow Andrew any formal role as a royal.

Prince Andrew has been appointed counsellor of state, while Princess Anne has not.
INSTAR Images LLC/Alamy

"To be a Counsellor of State, making it possible that he will be conducting public duties on Charles’s behalf, is clearly unacceptable.

"Andrew’s reputation is in tatters, to think he might represent Britain at the highest levels is going to damage the monarchy, Charles, and the country’s reputation."

Mr Smith's concerns are shared by the group Our Republic, which told the publication that it was an incredibly ill-advised decision on the part of King Charles.

They said: "We should not accept this debasement of our country to go without response by the people.

"Andrew's status should be rejected and should the monarchy rally behind him they will show themselves as clearly unfit to rule."

Even political commentator Robert Peston shared some concerns over Andrew's appointment.

Writing on Twitter, the journalist said he thought it was strange that Charles did not choose Princess Anne to take on the role.

He said: "The monarch appoints five counsellors of state to stand in for him when he is unwell or out of the UK.

The Queen's coffin was taken to Westminster Hall this week.
Charlie J Ercilla/Alamy

"They are his spouse plus the top four in succession to the crown who are aged 21 or over.

"These include Prince Andrew and his daughter Princess Beatrice (only just appointed) but not Princess Anne, who is probably the most widely respected of the royal family.

"Many would say this is nuts, especially since the 2013 Succession to the Crown Act ended primogeniture, though only for those born after 2011."

LADbible has contacted Buckingham Palace for a comment over Prince Andrew's appointment.

Even during the funeral preparations, he has received significant criticism from members of the public.

On Monday (12 September), a protester was yanked back after shouting, " Andrew, you're a sick, old man," at the prince during the Queen's coffin procession.

The protestor later explained exactly why he did it, stating: "Powerful men shouldn't be allowed to commit sexual crimes and get away with it."

He was later charged by police with breach of the peace.

Featured Image Credit: News Images LTD/Alamy/WFPA/Alamy

Topics: UK News, Prince Charles, King Charles III, Prince William, Prince Harry

Dominic Smithers
Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers is LADbible's Editorial Lead. After graduating from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History, he went on to write for the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express. So as you can imagine, he’s spent many a night wondering just how useful that second language has been. But c'est la vie.

X

@SmithersDom

Recommended reads

Mum of three sisters who died in Brighton beach tragedy also died of drowningPAEngland fans risk deportation at World Cup if they break bizarre US law which doesn't exist in UKStu Forster/Getty ImagesEngland World Cup squad announced as Harry Maguire and five more huge stars miss outCarl Recine/Getty ImagesTom Hardy 'fired from MobLand' ahead of season threeTheo Wargo/Getty Images

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • PA
    an hour ago

    Mum of three sisters who died in Brighton beach tragedy also died of drowning

    Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, were found dead on 13 May

    News
  • Carl Recine/Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    England World Cup squad announced as Harry Maguire and five more huge stars miss out

    Thomas Tuchel has announced his 2026 World Cup squad

    News
  • Facebook
    3 hours ago

    Disturbing reason Chris Watts keeps photos of his murdered wife and daughters in his prison cell

    Chris Watts revealed how he 'talks to' the photos of his pregnant wife and two daughters, who he killed in 2018, from his cell

    News
  • Instagram
    3 hours ago

    Hero Maldives rescue diver shares chilling ‘shark cave’ details as he rejects leading theory over deaths

    Five Italian divers died at an underwater cave in the Maldives last Thursday

    News
  • Major development as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor investigated by police for ‘sex offences’
  • Prince Andrew island to be renamed after the royal's arrest
  • Met Police investigating after bombshell claims about Prince Andrew
  • Prince Edward becomes first Royal Family member to speak out about Andrew Epstein file picture