ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Russian President Vladimir Putin Puts Nuclear Deterrent Forces 'On Alert' Amid Tensions With West Over Ukraine Invasion
Home>News
Updated 10:07 28 Feb 2022 GMTPublished 13:28 27 Feb 2022 GMT

breaking

Russian President Vladimir Putin Puts Nuclear Deterrent Forces 'On Alert' Amid Tensions With West Over Ukraine Invasion

It comes after the 69-year-old sent thousands of troops over the border and ordered numerous air strikes on Ukrainian cities

Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Russian president Vladimir Putin has put his nuclear deterrent forces 'on alert' amid rising tensions with the West over the invasion of Ukraine.

It comes after the 69-year-old declared war on its neighbouring country last week, sending thousands of troops over the border.

Speaking at a meeting with his top officials, Putin asserted that leading Nato powers had made "aggressive statements" along with the West imposing hard-hitting financial sanctions against Russia, including the president himself.

Putin ordered the Russian defence minister and the chief of the military’s General Staff to put the nuclear deterrent forces in a "special regime of combat duty".

Advert

Currently, Ukraine forces are attempting to hold off Russian tanks moving in on the capital Kyiv and air assaults raining down on towns and cities across the country.

Putin has put his nuclear deterrent forces 'on alert'.
Alamy

Ukraine's president Volodymyr Zelenskyy has stayed in the city to help defend it against the incoming forces.

He even refused to be evacuated by the United States, saying that he wouldn't desert his people.

Zelenskyy was urged to leave the capital by the US government, but turned down the offer – with the unnamed official quoting the president as saying: “The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride."

Yesterday morning (26 February), Zelenskyy posted a video filmed in selfie mode as he walked around the streets of Kyiv, denying ‘fake’ claims that he had called for a surrender. 

As translated by the BBC, he said: “Lately there has been a lot of fake information online that I call on our army to lay down arms and to evacuate. 

"Listen. I am here. We will not lay down our weapons. We will defend our state, because our weapon is our truth. 

Не вірте фейкам. pic.twitter.com/wiLqmCuz1p

— Володимир Зеленський (@ZelenskyyUa) February 26, 2022

"And the truth is that this is our land, our country, our children. And we will defend all of that.

"That’s all that I wanted to tell you. Glory to Ukraine."

The Ukrainian president has been widely praised on social media for his response to Russia’s invasion and has vowed not to leave, even though he knows he is a target for Russian forces.

In a video message on Friday (25 February), he said: "[The] enemy has marked me down as the number one target, 

"My family is the number two target. They want to destroy Ukraine politically by destroying the head of state. 

"I will stay in the capital. My family is also in Ukraine."

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Politics, Russia, Vladimir Putin, World News, Ukraine

Dominic Smithers
Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers is LADbible's Editorial Lead. After graduating from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History, he went on to write for the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express. So as you can imagine, he’s spent many a night wondering just how useful that second language has been. But c'est la vie.

X

@SmithersDom

Recommended reads

Mum of three sisters who died in Brighton beach tragedy also died of drowningPAEngland fans risk deportation at World Cup if they break bizarre US law which doesn't exist in UKStu Forster/Getty ImagesEngland World Cup squad announced as Harry Maguire and five more huge stars miss outCarl Recine/Getty ImagesTom Hardy 'fired from MobLand' ahead of season threeTheo Wargo/Getty Images

Advert

Choose your content:

16 mins ago
an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • PA
    16 mins ago

    Mum of three sisters who died in Brighton beach tragedy also died of drowning

    Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, were found dead on 13 May

    News
  • Carl Recine/Getty Images
    an hour ago

    England World Cup squad announced as Harry Maguire and five more huge stars miss out

    Thomas Tuchel has announced his 2026 World Cup squad

    News
  • Facebook
    3 hours ago

    Disturbing reason Chris Watts keeps photos of his murdered wife and daughters in his prison cell

    Chris Watts revealed how he 'talks to' the photos of his pregnant wife and two daughters, who he killed in 2018, from his cell

    News
  • Instagram
    3 hours ago

    Hero Maldives rescue diver shares chilling ‘shark cave’ details as he rejects leading theory over deaths

    Five Italian divers died at an underwater cave in the Maldives last Thursday

    News
  • British Fighters Captured In Ukraine Have Appeared On Russian State TV And Asked To Be Exchanged For Prince Of Darkness
  • Russian Protester Says 'Arrest Putin, Not Me' After Being Taken By Police
  • Footage Shows Russian Tanks At The Chernobyl Nuclear Plant
  • Elderly Driver Miraculously Rescued Alive After 'Russian Tank' Crushes Car