ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Mum of 2-year-old boy found starved to death says 'he was two inches too small to open fridge'
Home>News>UK News
Updated 07:39 18 Jan 2024 GMTPublished 07:30 18 Jan 2024 GMT

Mum of 2-year-old boy found starved to death says 'he was two inches too small to open fridge'

Bronson Battersby was found dehydrated and starved to death next to his father, Kenneth, on 9 January

Anish Vij

Anish Vij

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The mum of the two-year-old boy who was found starved to death earlier this month said 'he was two inches too small to open fridge'.

Bronson Battersby was found dehydrated and starved to death next to the body of his father, Kenneth, on 9 January.

The 60-year-old father is believed to have suffered a heart attack at his flat in Skegness some time after Boxing Day.

Meanwhile, the toddler was left in the dark for two weeks, unable to eat and drink.

Advert

Lincolnshire Police said it was contacted by a Lincolnshire County Council social worker who got no answer when they tried knocking on the door of the home.

The toddler died of dehydration and starvation.
Facebook/Sarah Louise Piesse

Mum Sarah also shared a daughter, three, and son, seven, with Kenneth.

The 43-year-old described her son as 'a typical, cheeky, little two-year-old'.

“He was always trying to get his favourite pink wafers," she told The Sun.

“And then when we said no more, he’d smile and shout, ‘Yeah! More, more, more!’

“Kenny moved all the snacks higher up so he couldn’t get to them without asking.

“Now all I can think of in my head is him, starving, reaching up and trying to get them. I can’t bear it.

“He was about two inches off being able to reach the fridge to open it.

“His last moments were spent alone and he must have been so thirsty and hungry.

“He will have been crying. He will have been so confused.

“And Kenny was there on the floor. I can only pray he thought his dad was asleep.”

Bronson with his mother, Sarah.
Facebook/Sarah Louise Piesse

A spokesperson for the county council confirmed the social worker communicated with Mr Battersby on December 27 and arranged to visit on January 2.

The social worker then 'made inquiries at other addresses where the child could be' and contacted the police.

After a second unannounced visit on January 4 also went unanswered, Lincolnshire Police were said to have been contacted again.

Days later on January 9, the social worker was let into the property by the landlord, where Mr Battersby and his son were found dead.

She added: “It is haunting me. If I can fall asleep at all, it is only for a few hours. I jolt awake thinking of him wandering around alone, starving.

"He must have been so weak in the end that he decided to give up and hold on to his dad, hugging his legs. I will never forgive myself for not being there.

“When I picture him alone in that flat it makes me feel like a failure, cruel, selfish.

"That little boy was sitting there wanting a drink, wanting something to eat. It breaks my heart even more.

“I just don’t understand why the alarm wasn’t raised sooner. Why didn’t they do it? I am in a living nightmare and I am never going to wake up from it.”

Bronson and his Father, Kenneth.
Facebook/Sarah Louise Piesse

Heather Sandy, executive director for children’s services at Lincolnshire County Council, said: “This was a tragic incident, and we are supporting the family at this difficult time.

“We are currently carrying out a review of the case alongside partner agencies to better understand the circumstances, and we await the results of the coroner’s investigations as well.

“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of those involved.”

In a statement, Lincolnshire Police confirmed it had made a referral to the IOPC (The Independent Office for Police Conduct).

It said: “The exact actions of organisations involved will be analysed in a forthcoming review and at this stage it would be inappropriate to comment further.

“As part of standard procedures we have referred this to the IOPC as a result of a death or serious injury following police involvement.”

The IOPC confirmed it had received a referral and is 'assessing that to determine what further action is required from us'.

LADbible Group contacted Lincolnshire Police and the Children's Commissioner for further comment.

Featured Image Credit: Facebook/Sarah Louise Piesse

Topics: UK News

Anish Vij
Anish Vij

Anish is a Journalist at LADbible Group and is a GG2 Young Journalist of the Year 2025. He has a Master's degree in Multimedia Journalism and a Bachelor's degree in International Business Management. Apart from that, his life revolves around the ‘Four F’s’ - family, friends, football and food. Email: [email protected]

X

@Anish_Vij

Recommended reads

GTA 6 release date officially confirmed in latest update from Take-TwoRockstar‘Chia seed challenge' comes with serious warning as expert wants against ‘internal cleanse’Getty Stock ImageBoris Johnson's wife Carrie recalls moment she was drugged by 'black cab rapist' John WorboysITVMan jailed for Charlie Kirk Facebook meme wins $835,000 settlementWSMV 4

Advert

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • ITV
    3 hours ago

    Boris Johnson's wife Carrie recalls moment she was drugged by 'black cab rapist' John Worboys

    Carrie Johnson said many women might not realise they had been drugged by John Worboys

    News
  • WSMV 4
    3 hours ago

    Man jailed for Charlie Kirk Facebook meme wins $835,000 settlement

    Larry Bushart spent 37 days in jail for sharing memes about Charlie Kirk

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    3 hours ago

    Ozempic and Mounjaro users risk £1,000 fine if driving while taking GLP-1 medicines

    A pharmacist says drivers using GLP-1 drugs might need to declare certain side effects to the DVLA

    News
  • Netflix
    4 hours ago

    Secret language Mackenzie Shirilla used with mum during police interview in alarming footage

    Cops later worked out what the killer driver had been saying to her mother Natalie

    News