ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Man dies after medical emergency at UK’s largest outdoor water park
Home>News>UK News
Published 07:28 24 Aug 2023 GMT+1

Man dies after medical emergency at UK’s largest outdoor water park

Despite best efforts to save him, the man sadly passed away

Jess Hardiman

Jess Hardiman

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A man has died after suffering a ‘medical episode’ at the UK’s largest outdoor water park, prompting the sudden closure of the park for the day.

Emergency services were called to Splashdown Quaywest in Paignton, Devon, yesterday (23 August) following a medical incident involving a customer – who Devon and Cornwall Police said was a man in his 40s from the Bristol area.

Sadly, despite attempts to save him, the man later died.

A police spokesman said: “Police were contacted by the Ambulance Service just after midday on Wednesday, August 23.

Advert

“They were at Splashdown Waterpark in Goodrington, Paignton, responding to reports of a man having suffered a suspected medical episode on site.

“Despite the best efforts of those at the scene the man, in his 40s and from the Bristol area, later died.

“His next of kin have been informed and a file is to be prepared for the coroner.”

A spokesperson for the South Western Ambulance Service said two double-crewed land ambulances, an air ambulance and an operations officer were sent to the scene, adding that one patient had been taken to Torbay Hospital.

Splashdown Quaywest.
Historic England Archive/Getty Images

While the man had been ‘receiving medical attention from paramedics’, Splashdown told customers it had made the decision to close the park, saying the incident happened at approximately 12.15pm.

“Until we have any information to release having conducted and consulted with any of the necessary authorities we would appreciate being left to deal with an unfolding situation and respect the privacy of the individual concerned and their family,” the waterpark said.

“We recognise this incident may have caused some upset amongst our visitors and apologise for any distress this may have caused, however, in an emergency the safety and well being of the person concerned was paramount due to the seriousness of the situation that presented itself.

“We are otherwise not able to make further comment at this time.”

In an update issued on its website later that day, Splashdown confirmed that the man had died.

“Sadly, we understand from Devon and Cornwall Police that the person concerned has subsequently passed away, our thoughts are with the family of the person concerned and send our deepest condolences to them,” it said.

“This incident occurred at Splashdown Quaywest waterpark at approximately 12 today. A person suffered a medical issue. An ambulance was called immediately and Splashdown waterpark staff and three off duty nurses came to the aid of the person.

“Subsequently, the air ambulance was also called. Despite the extensive efforts of those involved we have since learned that the person concerned has died.”

The park was forced to close yesterday.
Google Maps

Alan Richmond, Managing Director, said in a statement: “I was present at the site today when the incident occurred. We are so sorry to hear that the person passed away and our thoughts are with the friends and family of the deceased.

“I would like to thank and commend our staff for their prompt actions to administer first aid to our customer, together with the off-duty nurses that came forward to help and the actions of the ambulance staff that attended.

“It has been a shocking and upsetting day for everyone involved. We are consulting with our staff to make sure that they are ok.

“I would also like to take the opportunity to reassure our visitors that this was a medical episode not involving the waterpark operation.

"We recognise that this incident may have caused some upset amongst our visitors and apologise for any distress that this may have caused, however, our priority was the person concerned due to the seriousness of the situation that presented itself.

“We are able to be open tomorrow following consultation with the appropriate authorities who are satisfied that no further investigation is necessary on our part, but we understand that a file will be prepared for the Coroner.”

The park will be open today after consulting with ‘the relevant authorities’, which said they are ‘satisfied that the incident was a medical episode unrelated to the waterparks operation which occurred out of the water’.

Featured Image Credit: Historic England Archive/Heritage Images/Getty Images

Topics: UK News

Jess Hardiman
Jess Hardiman

Jess is Entertainment Desk Lead at LADbible Group. She graduated from Manchester University with a degree in Film Studies, English Language and Linguistics. You can contact Jess at [email protected].

X

@Jess_Hardiman

Recommended reads

Virgin Island expert hits out explaining why she didn’t return for season 2Channel 4Tourist who got beat up for throwing rocks at beloved seal explains why he did itUnited States Attorney's OfficeChannel 4 wipe MAFS UK from site after allegations two 'brides' were raped by their on-screen 'husbands'Getty StockTwo Married at First Sight UK brides claim they were raped by on-screen husbands, BBC reportGetty Stock

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • United States Attorney's Office
    an hour ago

    Tourist who got beat up for throwing rocks at beloved seal explains why he did it

    Igor Lytvynchuk is facing up to one year in prison and fines up to $50,000

    News
  • RJ Sangosti - Pool/Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Chris Watts' prison pen pal gives disturbing theory on why he murdered wife and two daughters

    A judge described the killings as perhaps 'the most inhumane and vicious crime' he had seen.

    News
  • Facebook/James Broadanax
    4 hours ago

    Woman who married Death Row killer describes watching him be executed

    Tiana Krasniqi told how her 'brain couldn't comprehend what her eyes were seeing' as she witnessed James Broadnax's final moments

    News
  • Abdelg Alsayed/Anadolu via Getty Image
    4 hours ago

    PETA issues strong response after update on orcas 'left for dead' in abandoned marine park

    The animal rights group raised serious concerns about the 'abusement' park

    News
  • Tragic bodycam footage shows moments after man dies on Universal theme park rollercoaster
  • Man visits abandoned water park where boy was decapitated on ‘world’s tallest water slide’
  • Mum of British woman, 23, shot dead by dad after ‘row about Trump’ hits out at police
  • People furious as whole pack of wolves euthanised at UK animal park