ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Why JFK assassination files have been kept secret for years as Donald Trump orders their release
Home>News>US News
Published 19:06 24 Jan 2025 GMT

Why JFK assassination files have been kept secret for years as Donald Trump orders their release

President Trump has ordered the release of thousands of classified documents

Jess Battison

Jess Battison

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The files relating to John F. Kennedy’s assassination have long remained classified. However, as newly sworn in president Donald Trump orders their release, they may no longer be kept under wraps.

Having sworn into office this week, US President Trump signed an executive order yesterday (23 January) mandating the release of classified files related to the 1963 assassination of JFK, as well as that of Robert F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr.

Government officials have said these files were initially classified in order to protect national security interests, intelligence sources, and ongoing investigations. And people have long wondered just why they are kept secret as the assassination has fuelled conspiracy theories over the decades.

President Trump signed the order on Thursday (ROBERTO SCHMIDT/AFP via Getty Images)
President Trump signed the order on Thursday (ROBERTO SCHMIDT/AFP via Getty Images)

Advert

“More than 50 years after the assassinations of President John F Kennedy, Senator Robert F Kennedy, and the Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr, the federal government has not released to the public all of its records related to those events,” the executive order stated.

“Their families and the American people deserve transparency and truth. It is in the national interest to finally release all records related to these assassinations without delay.”

Trump told reporters ‘everything will be revealed’ as he called the order ‘a big one’.

He had long promised to make the remaining batches of documents on JFK’s assassination public, but researchers don’t believe he’s going to be able to release them all.

The CIA and FBI appealed against a similar pledge when he was first in office and the agencies have previously argued that revealing informants’ identities could pose a risk to individuals.

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) also shared these concerns. In a 2018 letter to the Archives, it laid out how the Mafia’s violent history justifies secrecy being kept.

JFK was assassinated in Dallas, Texas, in 1963. (Bettmann/Getty Images)
JFK was assassinated in Dallas, Texas, in 1963. (Bettmann/Getty Images)

"Given the well-documented propensity for violence by the Mafia, it is reasonable to expect the individuals, if alive, remain in significant danger of retaliation," the DEA wrote.

Plus, the Department of Defence and State Department have cited national security concerns. And on top of that, the Pentagon has insisted that some of the classified documents contain nuclear information, sensitive war plans and intelligence unrelated to the assassination.

There are millions of government records related to JFK’s assassination and only a few thousands are not fully declassified. And many of those who have studied the released documents say that the public shouldn’t expect some kind of ground-breaking revelations.

“There’s always the possibility that something would slip through that would be the tiny tip of a much larger iceberg that would be revealing,” Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia Center for Politics and author of The Kennedy Half-Century told The Guardian.

“That’s what researchers look for. Now, odds are you won’t find that but it is possible that it’s there.”

Featured Image Credit: Bettmann Archives/Getty Images

Topics: Conspiracy Theory, Donald Trump, US News, Politics

Jess Battison
Jess Battison

Jess is a Senior Journalist with a love of all things pop culture. With a specialism in entertainment, she's covered the updates live at major events from The Brits in London to Disney's D23 in California. Jess covers the latest breaking news stories across the UK and the globe as well as interviewing your favourite faces including the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Stephen Graham, Aubrey Plaza and Chris Hemsworth. She graduated with a first in Journalism from City, University of London in 2021.

X

@jessbattison_

Recommended reads

Dodgy Fire Stick users are being identified and given two week legal action warningMichael Nagle/Bloomberg via Getty ImagesKatie Price responds to claims 'missing' husband Lee Andrews has been 'online'Instagram/Katie PriceEmbarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lakeGrapevine PoliceThailand tourism crackdown has new UK visa rule months after cannabis law changeDaniel Ceng/Anadolu via Getty Images

Advert

Choose your content:

8 hours ago
10 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • Grapevine Police
    8 hours ago

    Embarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lake

    A man has been arrested after being accused of intentionally driving a cybertruck into a lake

    News
  • FIND KIELY
    10 hours ago

    YouTuber ordered to pay $17.5 million to dad of teenager after spreading lie about her death

    A jury reached the verdict that the YouTuber should have to pay millions

    News
  • MIKE PERSSON / AFP via Getty Images
    12 hours ago

    Two 'people hunters' under investigation over alleged sniper safaris that killed women and children

    Several journalists have now dropped bombshell claims about the alleged war crimes

    News
  • Charlotte Coney/Getty Images
    12 hours ago

    Father pays heartbreaking tribute as three sisters identified in Brighton beach tragedy

    The women's bodies were recovered from the water last week

    News

    breaking

  • Photo of Donald Trump along with 16 files ‘disappear’ from Epstein release
  • Real reason Donald Trump uses random capitals in his social media posts revealed
  • Melania's email from Epstein files emerges as Donald Trump reacts to bombshell statement
  • Trump speaks out on 'being whacked' in assassination attempt after secret service agents suspended over attack