ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Mystery behind fatal Maldives diving tragedy may have been solved by rescue team
Home>News>World News
Updated 13:41 21 May 2026 GMT+1Published 12:32 21 May 2026 GMT+1

Mystery behind fatal Maldives diving tragedy may have been solved by rescue team

Authorities investigating the incident are currently examining the divers’ equipment

Anish Vij

Anish Vij

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The Finnish rescue team who recovered the bodies of five scuba divers who died while exploring an 160ft deep cave in the Maldives think they know what happened.

In what's thought to be the country's deadliest single diving accident, the group from Italy were killed following an underwater cave expedition at popular diving spots near Vaavu Atoll last Thursday (14 May).

The victims have been identified as University of Genoa ecology professor Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, research fellow Muriel Oddenino, marine biology graduate Federico Gualtieri and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti.

Maldives rescue diver Mohamed Mahdhee also died trying to recover their bodies.

Advert

"The divers are believed to have died while attempting to explore caves at a depth of 50 metres (164ft)," the foreign ministry in Rome has said.

Professor Monica Montefalcone died alongside her daughter, two researchers and a diving instructor (University of Genoa)
Professor Monica Montefalcone died alongside her daughter, two researchers and a diving instructor (University of Genoa)
Italian diver Giorgia Sommacal (Instagram)
Italian diver Giorgia Sommacal (Instagram)

Earlier this week, the last two bodies were recovered by three Finnish divers supported by the Maldives coastguard and police.

“After that we will coordinate with the Italian government and start the procedure to repatriate the bodies,” presidential spokesperson, Mohameed Hussain Shareef, said

Diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti also died during the scuba trip (Albatros Top Boat)
Diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti also died during the scuba trip (Albatros Top Boat)
Federico Gualtieri died in the incident (Facebook)
Federico Gualtieri died in the incident (Facebook)

He thanked the Finnish divers, praising them for their professionalism and leadership.

The expert divers, working for DAN Europe, now think they may have solved the mystery surrounding the deaths, Italy's La Repubblica reported.

They are exploring the possibility that the divers may have taken the wrong tunnel on their way out of the underwater cave, leading to them being trapped in a dead-end corridor.

"There was no way out from there," DAN Europe's CEO, Laura Marroni, told the outlet.

At the end of the room is a corridor where there is little light, but 'visibility, using artificial lighting, was excellent', she said.

Muriel Oddenino was also one of the victims (Facebook/Muriel Oddenino)
Muriel Oddenino was also one of the victims (Facebook/Muriel Oddenino)
Mohamed Mahdhee died trying to recover the divers' bodies (Maldives government)
Mohamed Mahdhee died trying to recover the divers' bodies (Maldives government)

The corridor - about 30 metres long and three metres across - leads to a second chamber of the cave, which is a large, round space with no natural light.

"The divers' bodies were all found inside, as if they had mistaken it for the right one," the paper added.

The incident is still being investigated, with authorities examining the divers’ equipment and the possibility of a strong current pulling them into the cave.

Did the divers have a permit?

Shareef noted that the cave has been explored in the past by local experts and foreign divers.

And although the Italian divers had a permit, authorities did not know from their proposal the exact location of the cave they were exploring, and at least two of the dead were not on the list of researchers that had been submitted, 'so we didn’t know they were part of the expedition', he said, calling the conditions deep in the cave 'challenging' with difficult terrain, strong currents and poor visibility.

Featured Image Credit: Mohamed Afrah/Getty

Topics: News, World News

Anish Vij
Anish Vij

Anish is a Journalist at LADbible Group and is a GG2 Young Journalist of the Year 2025. He has a Master's degree in Multimedia Journalism and a Bachelor's degree in International Business Management. Apart from that, his life revolves around the ‘Four F’s’ - family, friends, football and food. Email: [email protected]

X

@Anish_Vij

Recommended reads

Parents who abandoned children 'blindfolded in woods' heard opera singing in first court appearanceFILIPE AMORIM / AFP via Getty ImagesKatie Price’s husband Lee Andrews 'locked up in Dubai prison' after vanishing 11 days agoKatie Price/InstagramStranger Things stars address Conformity Gate theory over 'secret final episode'Matt Winkelmeyer/WireImageMaldives rescue diver explains what could be responsible for death of Italian diversInstagram/Dan Europe

Advert

  • 150-year-old mystery solved but $500 million is still trapped underwater
  • Scientists finally solved mystery of why Mayans vanished after thousands of years
  • All key evidence linked to Amelia Earhart as mystery 'finally solved' after 88 years
  • Mystery behind hundreds of 'rogue' planets found by James Webb Space Telescope may have just been solved

Choose your content:

11 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • FILIPE AMORIM / AFP via Getty Images
    11 mins ago

    Parents who abandoned children 'blindfolded in woods' heard opera singing in first court appearance

    Mum Marine Rousseau is said to have made the outburst while appearing in front of a judge on Friday

    News
  • Instagram/Dan Europe
    an hour ago

    Maldives rescue diver explains what could be responsible for death of Italian divers

    The specialist diver has claimed that the Italians' equipment they found was 'not optimal' for the Maldives cave

    News
  • US Department of Defense
    an hour ago

    Pentagon releases 50 new UFO videos with 'orbs swarming in all directions'

    The Pentagon released a second batch of videos of unidentified flying objects

    News
  • Netflix
    2 hours ago

    Kim Kardashian 'responds' as Mackenzie Shirilla asks for reality star to be her lawyer

    The inmate previously voiced her desire for the reality star to help with her case

    News