
Russell Brand has responded to charges of multiple sexual offences being brought against him.
Earlier today (4 April), the Metropolitan Police announced that Brand had been charged with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault following an investigation. The charges relate to incidents with four separate women.
He will appear before Westminster Magistrates' Court on 2 May.
Advert
Brand has now responded to the news with a video on social media, denying the charges made against him and claiming he was 'grateful' for the opportunity to defend them in court.
Beginning by thanking his followers for the 'overwhelming messages of support', Brand went on to claim that he was 'fortunate' for the charges to have happened at a time where 'the law has become a kind of weapon to be used against people'.
Watch the full response from Brand below:
"We're very fortunate, I suppose, that this is happening at a time where we know that the law has become a kind of weapon to be used against people institutions and sometimes entire nations, but will not accept and tolerate levels of corruption are unprecedented," he said.
Advert
"I'm speaking particularly to those of you that are watching this in the UK. How do you feel about your legal system right now? How do you feel about some of the high profile cases that are not being pursued and prosecuted? How do you feel that the Southport murders were handled. How do you feel about the government of Keir Starmer?"

Denying the charges made against him by the Met, he continued: "I've always told you guys that when I was young and single, before I had my wife and family were just about a shot over there, my beautiful children, I was a fool man. I was a fool before I lived in the light of the Lord. I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbecile, but what I never was was a rapist. I've never engaged in non-consensual activity.
"I pray that you can see that by looking in my eyes. I want to thank all of you for your continuing support. I want to let you know that our show will be on Rumble on Monday."
He added: "Thanks for your support there. And of course, I'm now going to have the opportunity to defend these charges in court, and I'm incredibly grateful for that. In the meantime, you lot stay free, and we will be continuing to discuss this matter. Praise the Lord."
Advert

Detectives began an investigation into Brand in September 2023 following complaints made in response to a joint documentary from C4's Dispatches and The Sunday Times titled Russell Brand: In Plain Sight.
Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy from the Metropolitan Police, who is leading the investigation, said: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.
“The Met's investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police. A dedicated team of investigators is available via email at [email protected].
“Support is also available by contacting the independent charity, Rape Crisis at 24/7 Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Line.”
Topics: Celebrity, Crime, Russell Brand, UK News