To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Donald Trump called out after sharing video of US Army 'decimating' people on social media

Home> News> US News

Donald Trump called out after sharing video of US Army 'decimating' people on social media

Donald Trump shared the footage on his social media platform, Truth Social

Warning: This article contains content some readers may find upsetting

Donald Trump has been called out for sharing a controversial video of an air strike on his social media platform.

The US President uploaded a clip of an apparent military airstrike against Houthi rebels in Yemen on Truth Social on Friday evening (4 April).

In the footage, which looks to have been shot by a drone, there are around 70 people standing in an oval circle. Moments later, there is an air strike explosion, leaving behind dozens of lifeless bodies around a crater.

Trump, 78, said the targets were 'Houthi terrorists' who were plotting an attack against commercial vessels in the red Sea using the Suez Canal in Egypt.

"These Houthis gathered for instructions on an attack. Oops, there will be no attack by these Houthis!" he wrote alongside the video. "They will never sink our ships again!"

The Houthis are an armed political and religious group dominantly made up of Zaydi Shias. They consider Israel to be the enemy.

Last month, Trump said that the 'Iran-backed Houthi terrorists have been decimated by the relentless strikes over the past two weeks'.

"Many of their Fighters and Leaders are no longer with us," he wrote on 31 March. "We hit them every day and night — Harder and harder. Their capabilities that threaten Shipping and the Region are rapidly being destroyed.

"Our attacks will continue until they are no longer a threat to Freedom of Navigation. The choice for the Houthis is clear: Stop shooting at U.S. ships, and we will stop shooting at you.

"Otherwise, we have only just begun, and the real pain is yet to come, for both the Houthis and their sponsors in Iran."

Donald Trump shared the controversial footage on his social media platform Truth Social (X/@realDonaldTrump)
Donald Trump shared the controversial footage on his social media platform Truth Social (X/@realDonaldTrump)

Although Trump insists that he's targeted Houthi rebels, some viewers have slammed his decision.

On X, one person claimed: "It was a tribal gathering. They were just villagers celebrating Eid ul-Fitr, and you bombed them."

"You promised to end the war, but instead, you fuelled it," they added, while another wrote: "It was a gathering of celebration, something known to tribes in Yemen."

Someone else also said: "I cannot believe the president of the United States is posting something like this..."

This comes after White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said on Tuesday that 'Iran is incredibly weakened as a result of these attacks, and we have seen they have taken out Houthi leaders'.

“They’ve taken out critical members who were launching strikes on naval ships and on commercial vessels and this operation will not stop until the freedom of navigation in this region is restored,” she said, adding that more than 200 strikes were carried out in a single day.

Featured Image Credit: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Topics: US News, Donald Trump, Politics